Translate

Monday, July 16, 2007

The Wheeler Dealers

Memorable quote (s) from the movie:

Feinberg, Taxi Driver (Robert Strauss): You're just like my wife, mister. You don't understand the economics of the situation.

Henry Tyroon (James Garner): Then teach me. I'm interested in the economics of about every situation.

Feinberg, Taxi Driver (Robert Strauss): Well, there are 11,000 cabs in the city - and no new permits for the next twenty-five years. Now suppose you wanna buy a cab and start hackin'... you gotta get a new permit, too. Now the tab on a new permit is eighteen thousand five hundred on the open market.

Henry Tyroon (James Garner): And how much did your cab cost, Mister, Feinberg?

Feinberg, Taxi Driver (Robert Strauss): Thirty-three hundred... new.

Henry Tyroon (James Garner): Mm-hmm. Then that makes your investment, uh, with the permit, come to about $22,000.

Feinberg, Taxi Driver (Robert Strauss): Yeah. But don't tell my wife... she'll think I'm rich.

Henry Tyroon (James Garner): Mm-hmm. Mr. Feinberg, I'll give you $24,000 for your cab and permit.

Feinberg, Taxi Driver (Robert Strauss): You wanna buy the cab?

Henry Tyroon (James Garner): Right. But you come along with it. I'll need your services for a week, maybe two.

Feinberg, Taxi Driver (Robert Strauss): No, look, mister, I can't sell the cab. I need it.

Henry Tyroon (James Garner): Well, I figured that. So, when I leave I'll sell it back to you for... $22,000.

Feinberg, Taxi Driver (Robert Strauss): You wanna lose two grand just to keep your feet dry when it starts to rain?

Henry Tyroon (James Garner): I don't lose, Mr. Feinberg. See, I borrow the money and then I get a deduction on the loan interest and another on the depreciation and another on the loss when I sell it back to you. And you make a nice profit.

Feinberg, Taxi Driver (Robert Strauss): You win and I win. Uh-uh, there's gotta be a loser somewhere.

Henry Tyroon (Robert Garner): Taxman loses. He usually does on a Henry Tyroon deal.

Feinberg, Taxi Driver (Robert Strauss): Mister, you've just got yourself a taxi.

No comments: