Translate

Thursday, June 21, 2007

US$10m For A Rock In A Bay

I have known David Glickman for nearly two decades, and he is a unique + one-of-a-kind gem dealer in Bangkok, Thailand. He has a good sense of humor; I would call him the Woody Allen of the gem and jewelry business. I wish him all the best of luck finding a buyer for his island.

(via AP) Nation writes:

If you have ever wanted to own a piece of San Francisco Bay, now is your chance. Red Rock, the only privately owned island in the bay, is up for sale. But it is well beyond most pocketbooks.

David Glickman, a Bangkok-based gems dealer and attorney, wants US$10 million (Bt346 million) for the 5.8-acre, uninhabited island in the shadow of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge.

"It's time to sell. I'm not going to live much longer. I'm almost 78. My wife is Thai, highly educated, and I'd like to leave her in good finances," Glickman said.

Red Rock Island, which gets its name from the reddish-brown color of its soil, was privately purchased in the 1920s. After a few owners, Glickman, then practicing law in San Francisco, bought it sight unseen in 1964 for $49,500.

It is located about 13 kilometers north of San Francisco's famed Fisherman's Wharf at a point where the San Francisco, Marin and Contra Costa counties converge.

"At the time, I thought I'd sell it. The island has a good spot for a marina, and it's in the bay, so the marina would be useful," he said. "But each time I thought I was going to sell it, something happened to make it worth more money."

Settled for good in Thailand, Glickman has so far refused to drop the asking price or consider donating it for conservation purposes.

More info @ http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/06/20/headlines/headlines_30037353.php

No comments: