Translate

Monday, February 19, 2007

A Roman Book On Precious Stones

By Sydney H Ball
Gemological Institute of America
1950

Sydney H Ball writes:

Rightly or wrongly, I have for some years felt that the outstanding classical book on precious stones, the 37th book of Pliny’s Natural History, has never been edited by one well versed in the lore of precious stones.

After years of disuse, my Latin limps; consequently, I take the liberty, to save the reader’s busy time, of rendering into modern English what is generally considered to be at least one of the best English translations, that of Philemon Holland, published in London in 1601. (The Historie of the World, commonly called the Naturall Historie of C Plinius Secundus. Translated into English by Philemon Holland, Doctor of Physicks. Printed in London by Adam Islip, 1601).

Holland graduated from Trinity College, Cambridge, and later received his M D from an unknown university. While practicing his profession, he translated a dozen Greek and Latin works. That he was not over paid is suggested by the fact that one such arduous task he received 4 pounds; for another 5 pounds. Referring to his translations, Fuller in his Worthies says, “These books alone of his turning into English will make a country gentleman a competent library.”

I have ventured, for easier reference, to disregard Holland’s rather inadequate chapter headings and have introduced the more numerous and more logical headings in the Latin edition of Jean Hardouin (Joannes Hardiunus, Paris, 1723).

No work is complete, and this one is far from it. For the shortcomings of my modest part in this book, I can only claim indulgence. As for Holland’s translation, my introductory chapters and notes were written in “those hours which might be spared from the practice of my profession and the necessarie cares of this life.” I am in great debt to Miss Kay Swindler who edited my manuscript.

No comments: