Translate

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Gemsicuted

Written by Julian Robov


Forty Nine


Polly opened her diary to mark an important appointment. There was a slight hint of a smile on her face, as she penned the names between the parallel lines of the page. Fond memories flashed through her mind, as she wrote the last words of their name. Their sweet voice, colorful personality, and that warm embrace permeated once again, as she struggled to sit straight before closing her personal diary. She sat for a while in deep thought as to what to do. There was a knock first, and the door opened.

Phil walked to her side with his files, which meant business. His business empire engulfed every nook and corner of the world wherever there was electricity making sure every home had a personal computer to fiddle with, either for fun or work.
“Our competitors are really nosing into our territory not knowing the dangerous landscape lying ahead. They are going to burn their money and people in this wretched poker game till their brains wake up from illusion,” Phil said to Polly.
“Phil, what are you talking about? I was in bliss when you came in, and it’s gone,” Polly replied, turning her attention towards him.
“What sort of a bliss? How can you engage in bliss when we are fighting for survival? They are going to eat us alive. You must understand the whole concept. That’s what I mean,” Phil said, staring at his wife impatiently.
“You know something. We have more than enough to live on for several decades, if we live the way we do now. Let others also get a piece of this world. It’s for everyone. Live and let live. Why don’t we put aside business for a while and think about the beautiful things in the world? Take some time to smell the roses. I know you don’t have the time, but at least you can spare some time with me in this spacious room when I need you,” Polly said, trying to reason with him.
“What beautiful things? You have more than enough to enjoy, and what more do you need. I know,” Phil said, remembering something.
“You know what?” she asked.
“Rubies! I knew it the moment you mentioned beautiful things. What are you up to this time? Do you have an inventory of your collection so far?” Phil asked.
“No. I don’t. Why should I? If I do anything like that the whole romance is gone. I want to keep it the way it is,” Polly answered.
“You are nuts,” Phil said, angrily. “Do you really see all these rubies you have bought so far?”
“How come you are so curious now when I have begged several times for your attention?” Polly asked quietly.
“Well, let me get to the point,” Phil said. “I’ve a meeting with a group of people in traditional shield and spear from Dukuduku village, Kwazulu Natal!”
“Where on earth is this country? Never heard of such a place. A new discovery by our people?” she asked.
“It’s neither new or old. The country has been on this planet before we were born. Africa! That’s where it is. The whole continent is for heaven’s sake untapped. Now what’s your big problem?” Phil said, knowing her behavior.
“A 37carat, perfect, Burmese ruby, hot red, lightly included, and well cut,” Polly added. “Miko and Tito are coming here to show me the piece. They know too well what I like and they always go the extra mile to obtain the rare ones for my enjoyment in privacy. That’s the bliss I was talking about.”
“Again? I’m sure it’s not going to be that cheap. Okay, do what you think is sensible and I’ll talk to you later. I must go to the meeting,” Phil said, glancing at his beloved wife.
Phil grabbed his files and planted a soft kiss on her lips, as he walked to the door.

No comments: