Translate

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Gemscentric

Three


Rudy walked to the office of Seri Fonhlaeng, which was located on the fourth floor of the Sita building, on Mahesak Road.
“I have a ten o’clock appointment with Khun Seri.”
“Ecu me, your name, sir.” The receptionist asked.
“Rudy Smith.” he said.
“Jut a minute, pease.” The stupid-looking receptionist disappeared into one of the rooms. Rudy knew he was not going to have an easy time with Seri, knowing his temperament and all of his moves he had found out about him through his brother, frigging Meechai. He had thoroughly planned his moves well in advance.
“Sir. He’s buesy, butt pease follow me,” she replied with a wicked smile. Seri approached him with a wai (greeting), even though Rudy extended his hand.
“I heard a lot about you from Jeffrey.”
Seri motioned Rudy to take a seat. His secretary brought in a pot of green tea, which she poured into two glasses, and then glanced at Rudy.
“Sugar, please,” Rudy said, as Seri watched him intently.
“Now, what brings you here, Mr Rudy?” Seri asked.
“Business. You are well aware of my background—PAILIN SAPPHIRES. I’m looking for ways we could work together and prosper,” Rudy said.
“Oh! So that’s what brought you here. Why me?” Seri asked.
“Because, you’re the expert. I met Meechai, and he told me everything about you,” Rudy quipped.
“Oh, I see,” Seri said.
“You did a good job with that 20carat blue sapphire,” Rudy reminded. That statement brought a chilled reaction. Seri knew the secret was out.
“Did Meechai tell you everything?” Seri asked.
“What do you want me to say?” Rudy knew the answer. Incremental revelation was his choice—that way he could draw him into his territory, bit by bit.
“So you know a lot, uh?” Seri looked disturbed.
“We’ll go fifty-fifty. That way, we share our experiences equally. Does that sound good to you?” Rudy waited.
“When?” Seri asked.
“In seven weeks,” Rudy replied.
Seri wanted to know more. Meechai had revealed something, which he shouldn’t have done in the first place. A cardinal sin.

Both were single, and selective womanizers, but Seri was the mastermind. They both loved the trade and decided to specialize in blue sapphires from Pailin. He wanted to make more money knowing that good times didn’t last for long. Greed over took commonsense. Newcomers were entering the market with reckless money, driving prices sky high. Surviving in this dog-eat-dog market became more difficult. When doing business the right way became difficult, the wrong way emerged as the best option. As long as demand existed, he cared less. Several factors made it possible for him. The trade itself was conservative and secretive. He liked it. Everyone kept their careful distance to avoid unnecessary scrutiny. Confusion and distraction became his best weapons. Now that luxury had become a boomerang.

Meechai was supposed to be released in a week after Seri made a special deal with the Khmer Rouge. He wanted to know how much information was out. Rudy thought for a second. He extracted a blue stone from his pocket that caught Seri’s attention. Seri’s face turned brown. He couldn’t forget that blue stone.
“Where did you get that from?” he asked.
“Do you recognize the blue stone? Meechai gave it to me,” Rudy said.
“I don’t believe this. Are you playing games with me, uh?” Seri was furious.
“I told you already, Meechai gave it to me,” Rudy said calmly.
“What are you after, if I may ask?” Seri asked.
“You know the answer already. I want to do business with you,” Rudy quipped.
“But you have already put me in trouble,” Seri shot back. Rudy now had something to say.
“Listen to me, will you? I have told you already what you need. You should leave the market to fat cats—like Prapan and Suchinda. Let them play with large stones. You can’t afford to play their games. You don’t have that kind of money, but I’m in a position to take care of that problem. Who knows? In the coming years, our company will be making loads of money well into the future,” Rudy stated.
Seri realized Rudy had already done his homework. He didn’t know what to say. Instead, he kept gazing at him doubtfully.
“What’s your input?”
“Two million.”
“Cash?”
“Cash.”
“When?”
“In five weeks.”
“And…...” Seri added.
“I know what you are thinking. Share, right? I told you already: fifty-fifty,” Rudy quipped.
“Any other option?” Seri asked.
“Not now. We’ll discuss that later at an appropriate time,” Rudy commented.
Seri gazed at Rudy. He sat opposite Rudy, “and the money?”
“From a safe place,” Rudy promised.
“Not from you?” Seri asked, puzzled.
“Nope. A friend of mine will take care of that part,” Rudy said calmly.
“Rudy,” Seri said. “I suppose you’re aware of market realities.”
“What the hell does that mean?” Rudy asked.
“The authorities, I mean, the revenue department, police, and the Mafia’s are out to catch people like you, and bury you with your Versace suit in a nearby grave. I don’t know how, but somehow they know how to do it. What I mean to say is when the bank sees big money coming in from a dubious source, they will begin to suspect everyone including me. Look what happened to Meechai. The police have already confiscated his property and other assets thinking that he was dealing in drugs. For reasons known only to the police, they think gems and drugs are twins, and dealers can’t stay without it. Meechai is finished. I’ve to now take care of him.” Seri was the acknowledged resident expert of such inside matters. He could be working for the drug and gem enforcement organization, if it existed.

But Rudy knew it all. He was covering up the truth. Gems were such portable wealth—he had it hidden at some God forbidden places on earth—to avoid repeating Meechai’s experience. Seri hid his money safely, and it was untouchable. Rudy knew it. His office itself was a good example. He left junk for the authorities to confiscate if they came in with a search warrant. The best gems, he never kept in his office. The risks were greater. Instead, he left synthetic counterparts to confuse the tax officers.
“Already,” Seri said. “I think I can do business with you, Rudy. Deal.”
“Deal.” Rudy smiled.

No comments: